Monday 10 June 2013

Canals and country pubs

Last night Callum and I decided we should bite the bullet and so some exercise. We decided on a bike ride, because then we could motivate ourselves with country pubs. He even had a bike I could borrow. So I got up early(ish) and headed round to his, only to presented with a tiny clown bike for our 40 mile trip. 


So maybe that's a slight exaggeration. It was however definitely child size...(also I've looked better. Deal with it). Callum looked much better on his adult size bike. 


It was a really nice ride though. It turns out after complaining about having nowhere nice to run/cycle the cycle path is right near the Uni house I'm about to leave. I'm a bit devastated by it. 


Beautiful. There were canal boats dotted along the way too, which made me contemplate a life on the water Rosie and Jim style. I'm not sure I could deal with having one room though, I'm not as little as they were...

We didn't quite make it to Newbury. We got distracted by this pub...

 



We'd made it about 15 miles, so we'd definitely earned ourselves a glass of wine. The Rowbarge Woolhampton did not disappoint. It was so lovely, and the staff were fantastic. All the food looked great too, but having a long cycle home we opted for a light lunch.


I had the smoked salmon sandwich on rye, and he went for rare roast beef with horseradish, and we swapped halves. Mine was good, his was slightly lacking - a bit dry, a bit tasteless. Such a shame, but the chips were fab and the hot food looked great (also the crisps were a bit naff). The pub had a lovely feel though, a great set out and as I say, lovely staff. 

You can check it out here





No comments:

Post a Comment