Friday 7 June 2013

The Louvre




I almost included this yesterday, and then decided that the Louvre is deserving of its own post. I could write an essay on just the small part I saw, but I'll try and trim it down to just a few favourite bits. They had a Michelangelo Pistoletto exhibition on, hence the triple loops everywhere which had a few interesting pieces but to be honest, I didn't really get. I was more interested in the Greek sculpture, particularly this one...


I did an English Literature degree, and dabbled with Classics in my first year, so I have a bit of a thing for Greek mythology. This is 'Psyche revived by Cupid's Kiss' by Antonio Canova. 


Of course Venus had to be in here. I just loved these too...




We had a wonder around some of the Renaissance art too, and there were some incredible paintings (obviously, it's the Louvre...), but these were my favourites. The light in them was just incredible. My rubbish camera could not do them justice, but here they are anyway.



This one I just really liked. Little minx...



I could have spent days in here (with some more comfortable shoes...) and taken hundreds more photos. Alas, coffees and crepes were calling, so we slowly headed out, getting very distracted and bumping into the crowds as we craned our necks at the ceilings...


Obviously I had to get this photo, though it was hard to get one without twenty other cameras in it...



As we strolled past the famous pyramid I also managed to spot this guy...


Charles Perrault, of fairy tale fame, and one of the main focuses of my recent dissertation. It was the kind of thing no one else cared about but really excited me. 
What a hunk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment